I’ve always been huge on self-care as a young woman with Cerebral palsy although my life I’ve always been the type of person that always tries to find ways to keep track of self-care by creating my own set of 9 self-care tips.
- listening to music- Listening to country music has always been my go-to when it comes to my self-care since listening to music helps me escape my stresses and the reality of my condition especially right after a doctor’s appointment where I didn’t receive the best news.
- Working out -Working out in my pool is my favorite go-to when it comes to my self-care because it allows me to relax my muscles and my mind.
- Reading a book of your choice – Reading Nicholas Sparks is my go-to when it comes to dealing with myself care since reading a Nicholas sparks book gives me a chance to relax my mind and have inter peace within my body.
- Drinking coke-cola Now this may sound like a strange self-care strategy but due to my cerebral palsy I tend to have really bad spastic attacks and stiffness on the left side of my body and when I drink Coke-cola it helps reduce the pain and stiffness in that side of my body.
- Taking a nice bubble bath- taking a bubble bath is one of my favorite things to do especially when I have just come home form hours of physical therapy and doctor appointments taking a nice bubble bath is the best way for me to relax my stiffness with the left side of my body.
- Watching a movie of your choice- I love to watch the 1980’s, movie Urban Cowboy when I need to relax my body and clear my mind from the psychical limitations that I have within the left side of my body, and it takes away my anxiousness.
- Doing a hobby of your choice- I love going to volunteer at the fire department as a hobby since volunteering allows me to take a step back and relax with my firefighter’s buddies and give back to the Community.
- Writing thoughts down in a journal- Writing has always been my go-to when it comes to my self-care because it helps me process my emotions when it comes to my bad days with cerebral palsy and dealing with the reality of being an adult with Cerebral palsy.
- Squeeze a stress ball- life with Cerebral palsy could be stressful at times so I like to carry a stress ball to relieve anxiety and stress after a long day of doctors appointments and having to make some decisions regarding your health squeezing a stress ball is a great way to handle your emotions and have a clear mindset on your emotions.
Truly life with Cerebral palsy could be stressful for sure but I hope that these 9 tips could help you find the perfect self-care strategies