One of the biggest misconceptions when it comes to people with disabilities is that we don’t have the desire to be in a relationship or we don’t fully understand love which is false we do have the desire to find love and be in a happy and healthy relationship for as long, I could remember I have dreamt about getting married in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and running off in a General Lee.
Dating with a condition such as Cerebral Palsy can be difficult at times especially online dating and navigating through the ins and out of it.
I tried several dating sites admittedly some experiences were good and some not so much so what are tips to give when putting yourself out in the online dating world.
- Be Open and honest about your disability– whenever I was on dating sites such as Tinder I was very open and honest about my disability when creating my profile because I didn’t want to come off as misleading but also I want my potential date to know that I’m okay with my disability to…
- Take it slow and embrace the process – When it comes to online dating take it slow and embrace the process although it could be frustrating at times but if you take it slow and embrace the process and it will be worth it in the long run.
- Post pictures of you doing activities – posting pictures of you doing an activity that you love shows your potential match that you live your life despite your disability.
- Try not to make all conversation topics of your disability – Now it is great to be open about your condition and disability but try not to make it the main topic of your conversation instead try focusing on your hobbies and things that will make you compatible.
- Be yourself– being yourself is the perfect thing you can do when on a dating site because you are you and you shouldn’t be ashamed of it.
- Do your research on the person before meeting them in real life – doing your research isn’t a bad thing. You have to be cautious because not everything could be true and doing your research allows you to see how a person really is and lives.